Crime in Andhra Pradesh-2001
C H A P T E R - 1
HIGHLIGHTS IN INCIDENCE OF CRIME IN A.P.
1) 31911 cases of Bodily Crime were reported in the State in 2001 as against 29245 in 2000 showing an increase of 9.1%.
2) Ranga Reddy district registered highest number of cases of Murder and Rape.
3) Guntur district ranked 1st in Hurt Cases.
4) Nellore district ranked first in Kidnapping & Abduction Cases.
5) Warangal district ranked first in Riotings.
6) Mahaboobnagar district ranked 1st in Culpable Homicide not amounting to Murder.
7) Cities: Hyderabad City ranked 15th in registering Bodily Crimes while Vijayawada and Visakhapatnam Cities ranked 22nd and 25th respectively.
8) 23777 cases of Property Crime were registered in 2001 as against 23392 cases during previous year showing an increase by 1.6%.
9) Property worth Rs. 44.13 crores was stolen and 42.65% of the property was recovered during 2001.
10) Ranga Reddy district registered maximum number of cases under the heads Murder for Gain & Robberies.
11) Medak & Karimnagar districts registered highest number of Dacoity cases.
12) Hyderabad City recorded highest number of cases under Burglaries and Ordinary Thefts.
13) The highest percentage of recovery was from Khammam district (84.64%), followed by Kurnool (83.70%), Prakasham (78.47%) and Vizianagaram (72.15%).
14) An increasing trend in Cheating, Counterfeiting and Criminal Breach of Trust was seen during the year 2001 as against 2000.
15) Hyderabad City registered highest number of cases in Cheating .
16) Guntur District registered highest number of cases under Criminal Breach of Trust.
17) A total of 13495 cases under Crime against Women were registered in 2001 showing an increase of 3.4% over previous year.
18) Karimnagar District registered highest number of cases (998 i.e. 7.39% of the State) under the head Crime Against Women.
19) Hyderabad City is more prone to Crime Against Women when compared to other two cities of Vijayawada and Visakhapatnam.
20) 30675 cases under A.P. Gaming Act were registered showing a decreasing trend over 2000 (35749).
21) A decreasing trend was seen in Matka cases in 2001
22) 3741 cases under Prevention of Immoral Traffic Act (PITA) were registered showing a decreasing trend over 2000 (3942).
23) Cases under Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act and Eve Teasing showed decreasing trend in 2001.
24) There is an overall decreasing trend in cases of Social-Evils.
25) Witchcraft is rampant in Nalgonda District during 2001
26) A total of 35 persons were killed for suspected Witchcraft / Sorcery in 2001.
27) There is an overall increase in cases against SC / ST in the State.
28) There is an overall decrease in Factious Crime in the State.
29) There is an overall increase in Extremists Offences in the State.
30) Mahaboobnagar District ranked first in registering cases under the SC/ST provisions in the state.
31) Of the 74 Police Casualties 56.76% were in Terrorists / Extremists Operations and 42% due to accidents.
32) 14 cases of lock up / custodial deaths were reported in 2001 as against 9 cases in 2000 showing an increase of (55.5%)
33) 28902 cases of Road Accidents were registered during 2001 showing a slight increase over 2000 (27234) cases.
34) 8248 persons were killed and 37931 injured in Road Accidents in the State during 2001.
35) Andhra Pradesh State stood 20th in criminality, the First being the Union Territory of Delhi, during 1999. The State registered 18th rank during 1998 and 19th rank in 1997. Thus the criminality in A.P. is gradually declining.